They are aromatic compounds extracted from plants. Known also as “essential oils”, they cause the strong scents of certain fruits and vegetables. Volatile oils could be extracted from leaves, peels, roots, seeds, barks, flowers, or rhizomes.
The most commonly studied essential oil is “eugenol”. Other essential oils are linalool, cineole, ocimene, citronellol, limonene, and myrcene.
Fruits: guava, grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange, and tangerine.
Vegetables: basil, celery, coriander, parsley, peppermint, and spearmint.
- Have antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal activities.
- Demonstrate anti-inflammatory property.
- Are used to flavour foods and drinks.
- Are added to cosmetics and perfumes.
- Might fight certain cancers (not conclusive yet).