Octacosanol is a fatty alcohol with waxy nature and found in wheat germ oil, sugarcane extract, legumes and eucalyptus. It has been touted as “sports ergogenic aid”, though the exact mechanism of action is unknown.
Athletic Benefits of Octacosanol:
It is not a popular supplement among athletes. The potential benefits of octacosanol in athletes include:
- May improve athletic reaction time.
- Promotes neuromuscular function.
- Improves endurance.
- May have a protective effect against overtraining syndrome.
- Supports glycogen replenishment.
- May delay exhaustion time.
Non – Athletic Benefits of Octacosanol:
- May decrease LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol.
- May be beneficial in Parkinson`s disease.
The usual dosage is 2000 – 5000 mcg daily.