Muira Puama is a plant native to the Amazon basin. Being famous as a libido booster, muira puama has mild adaptogenic and anti – inflammatory activities.
The active ingredients in muira pauma are long chain fatty acids, phytosterols (especially campesterol and stigmasterol), triterpenoids (especially lupeol), coumarin, ptycholides, and the alkaloid muirapuamine.
Athletic Benefits of Muira Puama:
- Helps recover quickly from overtraining syndrome.
- May have a protective effect against overtraining syndrome.
- May help boost testosterone level.
- Aids increase lean mass.
- Delays exhaustion time.
Non – Athletic Benefits of Muira Puama:
Muira puama may be beneficial in the following conditions:
- Low energy and stamina.
- Low libido and sexual desire.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Alzheimer’s disease.
- Menstrual irregularities.
- Stomach upset.
Dosage and Side Effects:
Muira puama is generally taken 500 – 1500 mg a day. The potential side effects are irritability and sleep disturbances.