Lycopene is a carotenoid that has a strong antioxidant property. Though it is a carotenoid, lycopene has no vitamin A activity.
Lycopene is found in gac (a fruit with the highest amount), tomatoes, watermelon , pink grapefruit, pink guava, papaya, asparagus, basil, and parsley.
Benefits of Lycopene:
Lycopene is beneficial in the following conditions:
- Exercise – induced asthma.
- Prostate cancer.
- Preeclampsia (pregnancy – induced hypertension).
- Prevention of atherosclerosis.
- Macular degeneration of the eyes.
- Male infertility due to low sperm count and motility.
- Adrenal exhaustion.
- Prevention against the cancers of the cervix, breast, lung, stomach, esophagus, liver, and colon.
Lycopene is taken 10 – 30 mg daily.