Athletic Benefits of Guarana:
- Improves athletic performance.
- Delays fatigue and exhaustion.
- Increases endurance.
- May increase aerobic capacity.
- May improve mental alertness and sharpness.
Non – Athletic Benefits of Guarana:
Guarana has also non – athletic benefits, such as:
- Delays sleep and fatigue.
- Promotes weight loss.
- May impair appetite.
- Helps recover from a hangover.
- May help people with chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Useful in diarrhea.
- May help relieve headache.
- Has a mild diuretic effect.
Dosage and Side Effects:
Guarana is generally added to many energy drinks. However, it is also available as guarana extract. A common dosage ranges from 100 to 1000 mg a day.
The possible side effects of guarana are insomnia, anxiety, palpitation, nervousness, restlessness,stomach upset, nausea, increased blood pressure, rapid breathing, trembling, and urinary frequency. It is strongly recommended not to take guarana along with caffeine, ephedra, and any central nervous system – simulating medications.