also as ci wu jia, devil`s shrub, and touch-me-not, eleuthero has been widely used in Chinese medicine. The active ingredients of eleuthero responsible for its effects are eleutherosides, polysaccharides, and isofraxidin.
Athletic Benefits of Eleuthero:
- Improves athletic performance.
- Delays exhaustion time.
- Helps recover quickly from overtraining syndrome.
- Enhances endurance by increasing oxygen uptake by the muscles.
- Reduces post – exercise exhaustion.
- Improves aerobic capacity.
Non – Athletic Benefits of Eleuthero:
Siberian ginseng may have potential benefits in the following conditions:
- Chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Adrenal exhaustion.
- Frequent common cold and flu.
- Breast cancer.
- High LDL cholesterol.
Dosage and Side Effects:
Eleuthero is generally taken as dried powder 2 – 3 grams a day or standardized extract 500 – 1000 mg a day. The possible side effects of eleuthero are diarrhea, insomnia, nervousness, increased blood pressure, headache, and hypoglycemia.