Being widely used in Chinese medicine, astragalus is a potent adaptogen with anti – viral, anti – inflammatory and immune – enhancing activities. It contains the active ingredients flavonoids, triterpene glycosides, polysaccharides, and amino acids. Astragalus has a mild diuretic property as well.
Athletic Benefits of Astragalus:
- Boosts energy level.
- Supports against overtraining syndrome.
- Improves immune function in athletes suffering from chronic infections such as sinusitis, bronchitis, and frequent common cold.
Non – Athletic Benefits of Astragalus:
Astragalus may be beneficial in the following conditions:
- Recurrent sore throat and common cold.
- Chronic infections.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- Chronic diarrhea.
- During radiation therapy
- After chemotherapy
- Chronic fatigue.
- High blood pressure.
Astragalus should be avoided in the following conditions:
- Febrile conditions. It may make the fever last longer or grow stronger.
- Along with immunosuppressive medications.
- Along with lithium. Astragalus may increase risk of toxicity with lithium.
Dosage and Side Effects:
The recommended dosage is: as dried herb 5 – 10 grams a day, capsules or tablets 1000 – 1500 mg a day, or tincture 10 – 15 ml a day.